Wisdom Tooth Removal in Washington, MO
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Washington, MO. When you reach late teen and early adult years and your wisdom teeth begin to form and prepare to emerge, you need to start looking into wisdom tooth removal in Washington, MO. When you or your 16 to 23 year old child is beginning to get wisdom teeth or starts to suffer from dental health complications related to the development of these teeth, you need to talk with your Washington, MO dentist about wisdom tooth removal in Washington, MO and decide if it is right for you.
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Washington, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with qualified oral surgeons who have a background in treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that will give you a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Washington, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Washington, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in Washington, MO could be a good option for you yet. On top of removing the threat of potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal can provide relief from:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Washington, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are potential complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Cut the tooth into multiple pieces to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may be prescribed something to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to avoid bacteria buildup.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no follow-up needed. You should reach out and seek help if you experience anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Washington, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.