Wisdom Tooth Removal in Gray Summit, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Gray Summit, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with skilled oral surgeons who have significant experience providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to provide expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Gray Summit, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Gray Summit, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Gray Summit, MO may still be a good option for you now. In addition to removing the threat of potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Gray Summit, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are potential complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of procedure, each patient's recovery is unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to prevent the buildup of germs and bacteria.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no follow-up needed. You should reach out and seek help if you experience anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Gray Summit, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.