Wisdom Tooth Removal in Jennings, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Jennings, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with qualified oral surgeons who have significant experience providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Jennings, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Jennings, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Jennings, MO may still be a good option for you now. In addition to protecting against potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal can provide relief from:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Jennings, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are potential complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and decide on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Cut the tooth into multiple pieces to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry Near Me
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Professional Teeth Whitening Services
- Emergency Dentistry
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, each patient's recovery is unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and clean out the site of the extractions to prevent bacteria buildup.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Jennings, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Jennings, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are in search of an accomplished, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.