Wisdom Tooth Removal in North St. Louis County, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in North St. Louis County, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with qualified oral surgeons who have significant experience treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment North St. Louis County, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in North St. Louis County, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they can crowd the mouth and lead to all sorts of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Once you have an impacted tooth, you are liable to suffer from other problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in North St. Louis County, MO could be a good option for you now. In addition to preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in North St. Louis County, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are potential complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and decide on the best way to perform the procedure. The procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Divide the tooth into multiple pieces to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry Near Me
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Professional Teeth Whitening Services
- Emergency Dentistry
- Dental Bonding
- Dental Veneers
- Tooth Fillings
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, each patient's recovery is unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and clean out the site of the extractions to prevent the buildup of germs and bacteria.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in North St. Louis County, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are looking for an accomplished, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.