Wisdom Tooth Removal in Kirkwood, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Kirkwood, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with qualified oral surgeons who have a background in treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Kirkwood, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Kirkwood, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they can crowd the mouth and lead to all sorts of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in Kirkwood, MO could be a good option for you yet. On top of protecting against potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Kirkwood, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are potential complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon will make an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into multiple pieces to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry Near Me
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of treatment, each patient's recovery is unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and clean out the site of the extractions to avoid bacteria buildup.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Kirkwood, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Kirkwood, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to take care of your wisdom tooth removal dental surgery needs, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.