Wisdom Tooth Removal in Bridgeton, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Bridgeton, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with skilled oral surgeons who have significant experience treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to provide expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Bridgeton, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Bridgeton, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in Bridgeton, MO could be a good option for you yet. On top of preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Bridgeton, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are potential complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick outpatient visit, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of treatment, each patient's recovery is unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and carefully clean the site to prevent the buildup of germs and bacteria.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Bridgeton, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you experience anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Bridgeton, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. When you are looking for an accomplished, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.