Wisdom Tooth Removal in Spanish Lake, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Spanish Lake, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with qualified oral surgeons who have a background in treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that will give you a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Spanish Lake, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Spanish Lake, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they can crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in Spanish Lake, MO is probably still a good option for you now. On top of preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Spanish Lake, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are some possible complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick outpatient visit, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon will make an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to avoid the buildup of germs and bacteria.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no follow-up needed. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Spanish Lake, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.