Wisdom Tooth Removal in Olivette, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Olivette, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with skilled oral surgeons who have a background in providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to provide expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Olivette, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Olivette, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to all sorts of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Olivette, MO may still be a good option for you now. In addition to preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal can provide relief from:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Olivette, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are potential complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and decide on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Divide the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of treatment, each patient's recovery is unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may be prescribed something to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and carefully clean the site to avoid the buildup of germs and bacteria.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you experience anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Olivette, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. When you are in search of a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.