Wisdom Tooth Removal in Central St. Louis, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Central St. Louis, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with qualified oral surgeons who have significant experience providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Central St. Louis, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Central St. Louis, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they can crowd the mouth and lead to all sorts of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Central St. Louis, MO could be a good option for you now. In addition to preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal can provide relief from:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Central St. Louis, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are some possible complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may be prescribed something to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and clean out the site of the extractions to avoid bacteria buildup.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Central St. Louis, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. You should reach out and seek help if you experience anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Central St. Louis, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. When you are in search of an accomplished, reputable dental office to take care of your wisdom tooth removal dental surgery needs, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.