Wisdom Tooth Removal in Union, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Union, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with skilled oral surgeons who have significant experience treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that will give you a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Union, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Union, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they can crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Once you have an impacted tooth, you are liable to suffer from other problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Union, MO may still be a good option for you now. In addition to preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Union, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are some possible complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and decide on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon will make an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Divide the tooth into multiple pieces to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Cosmetic Dentistry Services
- Severe Tooth Pain
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, each patient's recovery is unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to avoid bacteria buildup.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Union, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you experience anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Union, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to take care of your wisdom tooth removal dental surgery needs, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.