Wisdom Tooth Removal in Brentwood, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Brentwood, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with skilled oral surgeons who have a background in treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to deliver expert wisdom tooth removal that will give you a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Brentwood, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Brentwood, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to all sorts of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Once you have an impacted tooth, you are liable to suffer from other problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in Brentwood, MO is probably still a good option for you now. In addition to preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Brentwood, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are potential complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and decide on the best way to perform the procedure. The procedure itself is a quick outpatient visit, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to control bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of procedure, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and clean out the site of the extractions to prevent the buildup of germs and bacteria.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Brentwood, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Brentwood, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. If you are in search of an accomplished, reputable dental office to take care of your wisdom tooth removal dental surgery needs, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.