Wisdom Tooth Removal in Hazelwood, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Hazelwood, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with skilled oral surgeons who have significant experience providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to provide expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Hazelwood, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Hazelwood, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Hazelwood, MO is probably still a good option for you yet. On top of preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal can provide relief from:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Hazelwood, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are potential complications for which you are at a higher risk if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The procedure itself is a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon will make an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry Near Me
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Professional Teeth Whitening Services
- Emergency Dentistry
- Dental Bonding
- Dental Veneers
- Tooth Fillings
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of procedure, each patient's recovery is unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may be prescribed something to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and clean out the site of the extractions to prevent the buildup of germs and bacteria.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Hazelwood, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Hazelwood, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.