Wisdom Tooth Removal in Owensville, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Owensville, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with qualified oral surgeons who have a background in providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to provide expert wisdom tooth removal that will give you a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Owensville, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Owensville, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Owensville, MO may still be a good option for you now. On top of removing the threat of potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Owensville, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are potential complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and decide on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick outpatient visit, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Severe Tooth Pain
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of treatment, each patient's recovery is unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and carefully clean the site to avoid the buildup of germs and bacteria.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Owensville, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. When you are in search of an accomplished, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.