Wisdom Tooth Removal in University City, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in University City, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with qualified oral surgeons who have a background in treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to provide expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment University City, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in University City, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in University City, MO is probably still a good option for you now. In addition to preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in University City, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are some possible complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The procedure itself will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon will make an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will remove any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Divide the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry Near Me
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Professional Teeth Whitening Services
- Emergency Dentistry
- Dental Bonding
- Dental Veneers
- Tooth Fillings
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of treatment, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to avoid bacteria buildup.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in University City, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you notice anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in University City, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. If you are in search of an accomplished, reputable dental office to take care of your wisdom tooth removal dental surgery needs, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.