Wisdom Tooth Removal in St. John, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in St. John, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with qualified oral surgeons who have a background in treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment St. John, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in St. John, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of possible problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in St. John, MO is probably still a good option for you now. In addition to removing the threat of potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal can provide relief from:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in St. John, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are some possible complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The procedure itself is a quick outpatient visit, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon will make an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- Some cases call for stitches to close the wound
- Apply gauze to the extraction site to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry Near Me
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Professional Teeth Whitening Services
- Emergency Dentistry
- Dental Bonding
- Dental Veneers
- Tooth Fillings
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of procedure, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and clean out the site of the extractions to prevent bacteria buildup.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in St. John, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in St. John, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. If you are looking for a trustworthy, reputable dental office to take care of your wisdom tooth removal dental surgery needs, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.