Wisdom Tooth Removal in New Haven, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in New Haven, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with skilled oral surgeons who have a background in providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to deliver expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection from future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment New Haven, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in New Haven, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth grow in, they can crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal is used to prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Once you have an impacted tooth, you are liable to suffer from other problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in New Haven, MO could be a good option for you now. On top of removing the threat of potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments used to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in New Haven, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are potential complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and you will either receive given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the tooth root
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Remove the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, each patient's recovery is unique. Most people just experience a few a handful of days with mild pain and discomfort following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. Follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may be prescribed something to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to avoid the buildup of germs and bacteria.
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in New Haven, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you notice anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in New Haven, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that is used to prevent the significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. When you are in search of a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.