Wisdom Tooth Removal in Oakland, MO
With a procedure like a wisdom tooth removal in Oakland, MO, you need a dental facility you can trust - one with skilled oral surgeons who have significant experience treating patients like you in their wisdom tooth removal and other oral health needs. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is equipped to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that will give you a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Oakland, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
We perform wisdom tooth removal in Oakland, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental issues and complications
Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Oakland, MO may still be a good option for you yet. On top of protecting against potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Oakland, MO, the first step is to gather information and devise a plan for the procedure. Learn what you can about wisdom tooth removal and compile any and all questions you have for your dentist. The procedure is very low risk by nature, but there are some possible complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The procedure itself is a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Divide the tooth into multiple pieces to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Thoroughly clean the site of the removed tooth, getting rid of any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Tooth Bonding
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
As with any kind of procedure, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days after the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may receive a prescription pain killer to help manage the pain. Apply ice on your jaw to reduce swelling, drink plenty of fluids and eat soft foods, and clean out the site of the extractions to avoid the buildup of germs and bacteria.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no follow-up needed. You should reach out and seek help if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Oakland, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the overcrowding and other complications of incoming back molar - or wisdom - teeth. When you are in search of a trustworthy, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.