Wisdom Tooth Removal in Overland, MO
When you are planning a wisdom tooth removal in Overland, MO, you need a dental facility you can depend on - one with skilled oral surgeons who have significant experience providing patients like you with wisdom tooth removal and all other dental procedures. Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates is prepared to perform expert wisdom tooth removal that promises a smooth recovery and protection against future dental problems. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your wisdom tooth removal appointment Overland, MO in advance. Reach us here.
Why We Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal in Overland, MO is primarily a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they can crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential problems. Wisdom teeth removal can prevent:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren't able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that grow through your gums only part of the way. Then, when a layer of gum tissue grows over them, it forms a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle - the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. Teeth growing the wrong way can be a major pain that can lead to further dental issues and complications
If you did not undergo wisdom teeth removal when you were younger and your wisdom teeth grew in, wisdom tooth removal in Overland, MO may still be a good option for you now. On top of preventing potential damage, infection, and dental hygiene trouble associated with these teeth, wisdom tooth removal help manage and alleviate:
- Infection or gum disease
- Tooth decay in an erupted wisdom tooth
- Tooth or bone damage
- The development of a cyst near the wisdom tooth
- Difficulty in other orthodontic treatments attempting to straighten teeth
What to Expect in Wisdom Tooth Removal
When you and your dentist consider a wisdom tooth removal procedure in Overland, MO, the first step is to gather information and determine the appropriate way to go about the process. At this point, you should do your research on wisdom tooth removal and ask your dentist any questions you have. The procedure is generally very low risk, but there are some possible complications to think about if you have an active mouth infection, immune system or other health problems, prescription medications, or if you are a smoker.
Your wisdom tooth removal dentist will take x-rays to see where the wisdom teeth are and determine on the best way to perform the procedure. The appointment for the procedure itself is a quick outpatient visit, and patients are either given local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia.
The wisdom tooth removal procedure:
- If necessary, the surgeon makes an incision in the gum to expose and access the wisdom tooth
- They will take out any bone that is blocking access to the root of the tooth
- Cut the tooth into sections to make it easier to remove
- Take out the tooth
- Clean out the site of the removed tooth completely, removing any debris or small pieces of the tooth or bone
- In some cases, stitch the wound closed
- After the procedure, you may be given gauze to staunch bleeding and help the healing process
We offer full-service dental care at our facility. Learn more about some of the treatments we provide, listed here.
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
Wisdom Tooth Removal Recovery
Just like any kind of treatment, your recovery from the extraction will be unique. However, most patients will feel only slight pain and discomfort for about three to five days following the wisdom tooth removal procedure. It's important to closely follow your oral surgeon's instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. You may be prescribed something to help manage the pain. You will want to apply ice to reduce swelling, eat easy-tp-eat foods and stay hydrated but don’t use a straw, and carefully clean the site to avoid bacteria buildup.
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. You should reach out and seek help if you experience anything troubling such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
Wisdom Tooth Removal in Overland, MO | Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates
Wisdom tooth removal is a common dental treatment that treats and prevents significant issues that can come from the development of the back set of molars known as wisdom teeth. When you are looking for an accomplished, reputable dental office to perform the wisdom tooth removal procedure you need, there's only one choice: Dr. John Martin Dental & Associates. Contact us today at our Maryland Heights office at (314) 739-1222 or our Gerald location at 573-764-2425.