Severe Tooth Pain Union, MO
The team at John Martin Dental & Associates provides premium service to individuals throughout the Great St. Louis Area. We have offices in Gerard and MD Heights--you can reach out to our office at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office and 573-764-2425 for Gerard.
Severe oral discomfort is often an unexpected, sharp feeling that is usually related to an underlying issue. Our team in Union, MO, that handle severe tooth pain help patients identify causes and suggests preventative measures that help you get your mouth health back on track. Do not wait to contact John Martin Dental & Associates experts now to learn more about how we can help with severe tooth pain in Union, MO.
What Causes Severe Dental Pain?
Severe dental discomfort can be a agonizing and crippling condition that is often caused by various dental or oral health problems. Some common causes of severe dental pain include the following:
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay, or dental caries, is one of the most common causes of tooth ache. When germs is in your mouth, it produces acids that eat away at the enamel, may lead to decay and severe ache if left untreated.
- Gum Disease: Periodontal disease, such as gingivitis or periodontitis, can cause tooth discomfort, especially if it has advanced to the point of affecting the supporting structures of the teeth.
- Dental Abscess: An abscess is a pocket of pus that can form at the root of a oral or between the oral and gum. It can cause severe, pulsating agony and often requires dental care for severe tooth pain patients in Union, MO.
- Tooth Fracture: A cracked or fractured tooth can expose the sensitive inner tissues (dental pulp), resulting in severe ache, especially when chewing or consuming hot, cool, sugary, or acidic foods or beverages.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Tooth sensitivity may cause sharp, shooting ache when you consume warm, cold, sugary, or sour foods and beverages. This is related to exposed dentin or receding gums.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Wisdom teeth that do not have enough space to properly emerge can become impacted, causing discomfort, inflammation, and infection.
- Dental Procedures: Severe tooth ache can sometimes be a side effect of dental procedures like root canals or extractions, but this is usually temporary and should improve as the healing process progresses.
If you are experiencing severe tooth discomfort in Union, MO, it is crucial to see a dentist as soon as possible. Ignoring dental discomfort can lead to further complications and worsen the underlying issue. Your Union, MO, dentist will likely perform a detailed examination, possibly take X-rays, and recommend appropriate treatment, which may include dental fillings, root canals, extractions, or other interventions to alleviate the pain and address the underlying problem.
In the meantime, over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen may help manage the pain, but these drugs do not replace the need for professional dental care. Contact our experts today to learn more about treating and managing severe tooth pains and discomfort in Union, MO. Contact us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
In addition to providing leading chipped toothache repair in the Union, MO, area, Dr. John Martin and the skilled staff of dentists at Martin Dental & Associates offer services in these areas:
Our St. Union, MO, severe tooth pain patients have access to a wide range of other dental procedures, which includes:
Ways to Prevent Severe Tooth & Gumline Pain
While heredity plays a role, there are a couple of strategies and habits that are important for averting dental care and pain. See below for more information about severe tooth pain management in Union, MO:
- It's essential to brush your tooth more than once a day for more than two minutes. This practice prevents prolonged gums and dental cavities--which can turn into severe dental pain.
- Floss at least once a day to get rid of any edibles and particles that that may develop plaque. A toothbrush might not be as effective in certain parts of your mouth.
- Antimicrobial or fluoride-based mouthwash is an easy way to counter plaque buildup and gums disease. It also helps remove bacteria and strengthen tooth enamel.
- Diet is another important component to dental health. What you eat, drink, smoke, or chew can have a prolonged effect on mouth health.
- Wisdom teeth are a major concern for any young adult or teenager. Wisdom teeth come in "late" and cause severe inflammation, infection, and other problems related to your jaw.
- Tooth sensitivity is related to exposed dentin, receding gums, and other health conditions that cause sharp, shooting discomfort when you eat or consume anything that's sweet, acidic, hot, or cold.
- A broken tooth is at risk for sharp spikes in agony. Fractured expose sensitive inner tissues (also known as pulp) that often result in severe pain when you're eating or drinking.
- Gum infection is a major concern. Gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontitis can cause extremely severe dental discomfort and can be avoided with good gum, tooth, and health care.
Our office offers a range of services in Union, MO, beyond severe tooth pain:
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
Severe Tooth Pain Treatment in Union, MO
Severe tooth pain can cause migraines, anxiety, and an overall sense of being uncomfortable. Don't suffer--we accept a variety of insurance plans to make things as easy as possible for our patients.