Severe Tooth Pain Brentwood, MO
The staff at John Martin Dental & Associates provides premium care to patients throughout the Great St. Louis Area. We have offices in Gerard and MD Heights--you can reach out to our office at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office or 573-764-2425 for Gerard.
Severe dental pain is often an unexpected, sharp feeling that is typically related to an underlying issue. Our experts in Brentwood, MO, that manage severe tooth pain help patients identify causes and offer preventative measures that help you get your mouth health back on track. Do not wait to call our team today to learn more about how we can help with severe tooth pain in Brentwood, MO.
What Causes Severe Dental Discomfort?
Severe oral pain can be a unpleasant and paralyzing condition that is often caused by various dental or oral health problems. Some common causes of severe dental ache include:
- Tooth Decay: Cavities, or dental caries, is one of the more common causes of dental discomfort. When bacteria are in your mouth, it produces acids that eat away at the enamel, may lead to cavities and severe agony if left untreated.
- Gum Disorder: Periodontal disease, such as gingivitis or periodontitis, can cause dental discomfort, especially if it has advanced to the point of affecting the supporting structures of the teeth.
- Dental Abscess: An infection is a pocket of pus that can form at the root of a tooth or between the tooth and gum. It can cause excruciating, pounding pain and often requires dental care for severe tooth pain patients in Brentwood, MO.
- Tooth Fracture: A cracked or fractured tooth often exposes the sensitive inner tissues (dental pulp), resulting in severe discomfort, especially when chewing or consuming hot, cool, sugary, or acidic foods and beverages.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Tooth sensitivity may cause sharp, shooting ache when you consume warm, cool, sweet, or sour foods or beverages. This is related to exposed dentin or receding gums.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Wisdom teeth that do not have enough space to properly emerge can become impacted, causing agony, inflammation, and infection.
- Dental Procedures: Severe tooth ache can sometimes be a side effect of dental procedures like root canals or extractions, but this is usually temporary and should improve as the healing process progresses.
If you're experiencing severe dental agony in Brentwood, MO, it is important to see a dentist as soon as possible. Ignoring dental agony can lead to additional complications and worsen the underlying situation. Your Brentwood, MO, dentist will likely perform a extensive examination, possibly take X-rays, and recommend appropriate treatment, which may include dental fillings, root canals, extractions, or other interventions to alleviate the discomfort and address the underlying problem.
In the meantime, over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can help manage the pain, but these drugs do not replace the need for professional dental care. Contact our team now to learn more about treating and managing severe oral aches and discomfort in Brentwood, MO. Contact us at 314-739-1222 for our MD Heights office or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
In addition to providing leading chipped tooth repair in the Brentwood, MO, area, Dr. John Martin and the skilled staff of dentists at Martin Dental & Associates offer services in these areas:
Our St. Brentwood, MO, severe tooth pain patients have access to a wide range of other dental procedures, including:
Ways to Avoid Severe Toothache & Gumline Pain
While genetics plays a role, there are a couple of techniques and habits that are important for averting tooth care and ache. See below for more information about severe tooth pain management in Brentwood, MO:
- It's essential to brush your teeth more than once a day for at least two minutes. This routine can prevent chronic gums and tooth cavities--which can later turn into severe dental discomfort.
- Floss at least once a day to get rid of any edibles and particles that that may allow plaque to grow. A toothbrush might not be as effective in certain parts of your mouth.
- Antimicrobial or fluoridated mouthwash is an easy way to counter plaque buildup and gums disease. It also helps remove bacteria and strengthen tooth enamel.
- Diet is another important component to oral health. What you eat, drink, smoke, or chew can have a chronic effect on mouth health.
- Wisdom teeth are a major concern for any young adult or teenager. Wisdom teeth come in "late" and cause severe inflammation, infection, and other problems related to your jaw.
- Tooth sensitivity is related to exposed dentin, receding gums, and other health conditions that cause sharp, shooting agony when you eat or consume anything that's sweet, acidic, hot, or cold.
- A broken oral is at risk for sharp spikes in pain. Broken expose sensitive inner tissues (also known as pulp) that often result in severe discomfort when you're eating or drinking.
- Gum infection is a major concern. Gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontitis can cause intensely painful tooth pain and can be avoided with good gum, tooth, and health care.
We offer a range of services in Brentwood, MO, beyond severe tooth pain:
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
Severe Tooth Pain Treatment in Brentwood, MO
Severe tooth pain can cause headaches, anxiety, and an overall sense of being uncomfortable. Do not suffer--we accept a variety of insurance plans to make things as easy as possible for our patients.