Severe Tooth Pain Overland, MO
The crew at John Martin Dental provides exceptional treatment to patients throughout the Great St. Louis Area. We have offices in Gerard and Maryland Heights--you can get in touch with us at 314-739-1222 for our MD Heights office or 573-764-2425 for Gerard.
Severe tooth pain is often an unexpected, sharp feeling that is usually related to an underlying issue. Our experts in Overland, MO, that manage severe tooth pain can you help you identify causes and suggests preventative measures that help you get your teeth health back on track. Do not wait to contact our team today to learn more about how we can help with severe tooth pain in Overland, MO.
What Causes Severe Tooth Ache?
Severe dental discomfort can be a unpleasant and crippling condition that is often caused by various dental or oral health problems. Some common causes of severe dental pain include the following:
- Tooth Caries: Cavities, or dental caries, is one of the more common causes of dental discomfort. When germs are in your mouth, it produces acids that eat away at the enamel, may lead to decay and severe discomfort if left untreated.
- Gum Disease: Periodontal disease, such as gingivitis or periodontitis, can cause dental agony, especially if it has advanced to the point of affecting the supporting structures of the teeth.
- Dental Abscess: An infection is a pocket of pus that can form at the root of a oral or between the dental and gum. It can cause excruciating, pulsating pain and often requires immediate dental treatment for severe tooth pain patients in Overland, MO.
- Tooth Fracture: A cracked or broken tooth often exposes the sensitive inner tissues (dental pulp), resulting in severe pain, especially when chewing or consuming warm, cold, sweet, or acidic foods and beverages.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Tooth sensitivity can cause sharp, shooting ache when you consume warm, cold, sugary, or acidic foods or beverages. This is related to exposed dentin or receding gums.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Wisdom teeth that do not have enough space to properly emerge can become impacted, causing discomfort, inflammation, and infection.
- Dental Procedures: Severe dental discomfort can sometimes be a side effect of dental procedures like root canals or extractions, but this is usually temporary and should improve as the healing process progresses.
If you're experiencing severe dental pain in Overland, MO, it is essential to see a dentist as soon as possible. Ignoring dental pain can lead to further complications and worsen the underlying issue. Your Overland, MO, dentist will likely perform a thorough examination, possibly take X-rays, and recommend appropriate treatment, which may include dental fillings, root canals, extractions, or other interventions to alleviate the ache and address any underlying issue.
Over-the-counter painkillers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can help manage the ache, but these drugs do not replace the need for professional dental care. Contact our professionals now to learn more about treating and managing severe tooth pains and discomfort in Overland, MO. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
In addition to providing leading chipped tooth repair in the Overland, MO, area, Dr. John Martin and the skilled staff of dentists at Martin Dental & Associates offer services in these areas:
Our St. Overland, MO, severe tooth pain patients also have to a wide range of other dental procedures, including:
Ways to Stop Severe Toothache & Gum Pain
While genetics plays a role, there are a couple of methods and habits that are important for preventive tooth care and pain. See below for more information about severe tooth pain management in Overland, MO:
- It's vital to brush your tooth more than once per day for at least two minutes. This habit prevents persistent gums and tooth decay--which can later turn into severe tooth ache.
- Floss at least once a day to get rid of any eatables and particles that that may allow plaque to grow. A toothbrush might not be as effective in certain parts of your mouth.
- Antimicrobial or fluoride-based mouthwash is an easy way to counter plaque buildup and gums disease. It also helps remove bacteria and strengthen tooth enamel.
- Diet is another important component to tooth health. What you eat, drink, smoke, or chew can have a prolonged effect on mouth health.
- Wisdom teeth are a major concern for any young adult or teenager. Wisdom teeth come in "late" and cause severe inflammation, infection, and other problems related to your jaw.
- Tooth sensitivity is related to exposed dentin, receding gums, and other health conditions that cause sharp, shooting agony when you eat or consume anything that's sweet, acidic, hot, or cold.
- A cracked tooth is at risk for sharp spikes in agony. Cracked expose sensitive inner tissues (also known as pulp) that often result in severe pain when you're eating or drinking.
- Gum disease is a significant concern. Gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontitis can cause extremely severe tooth discomfort and can be avoided with good gum, tooth, and health care.
Our office offers a range of services in Overland, MO, beyond severe tooth pain:
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Pediatric Dentist Near Me
- Dental Care
Severe Tooth Pain Treatment in Overland, MO
Severe tooth pain can cause migraines, anxiety, and an overall sense of being uncomfortable. Do not suffer--we accept a variety of insurance plans to make things as easy as possible for our patients.