Pediatric Dentist Near Me Bridgeton, MO
Pediatric Dentist Near Me Bridgeton, MO. The first few years of parenthood are stressful, to say the least. Searching, manically trying to find a “pediatric dentist near me” in Bridgeton, MO shouldn’t be adding to that pull-your-hair-out or hit-the-roof level of stress. We’re here to help. With over 30 years of experience, along with two convenient locations in the Bridgeton, MO area, Martin Dental & Associates is the pediatric dentist near you that you’ve been looking for.
Dr. John Martin is the dentist on staff at Ranken Jordan Pediatric Hospital, providing free pediatric dental services for the children they serve. He and his team of pediatric dentists, hygienists, and staff is committed to providing top-quality dental care near you in Bridgeton, MO. Nothing matters more to him than making sure his Bridgeton, MO patients’ oral health is taken care of, particularly children.
Our team is ready to serve your Bridgeton, MO family’s complete dental needs, making our services as accessible near Bridgeton, MO and as affordable as possible. Give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Bridgeton, MO patients are always welcome at either location.
Bridgeton, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: What Is a Pediatric Dentist and When Do I Need One?
Pediatric dentists are specialists dedicated to the oral health of children, from infancy throughout the various stages of childhood and teenage years. They have an extra two to three years of specialized training after dental school. Some of this training includes:
- Advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Oral pathology
- Child development
- Clinical management
- Child psychology
- Child-related pharmacology and radiology
- Management of oral and facial trauma
- Care for young patients with special needs
- General anesthesia for children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that parents establish a pediatric dental home for their child by their first birthday, or within a few months of their first tooth coming in. This will help you introduce your child to oral care in a relaxed first meeting near Bridgeton, MO, and will put them on the right path to a healthy smile. The sooner children begin getting regular dental checkups, the healthier their mouths will stay throughout their lives. Early checkups help prevent cavities and tooth decay, which can lead to pain, trouble concentrating, and other medical issues.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that over 40 percent of children have decay by the time they reach kindergarten, and 52 percent among kids aged 6 to 8. Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among kids near Bridgeton, MO. In order to ward off this decay, your child needs an entire oral health plan from a pediatric dentist near you in Bridgeton, MO.
In addition to our pediatric dental services near you in Bridgeton, MO, Martin Dental & Associates provides the following services:
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Wisdom Tooth Removal
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
Bridgeton, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Services
Good oral hygiene, particularly initiated at an early age by a pediatric dentist near you in Bridgeton, MO, removes bacteria and leftover food particles that, normally would, combine to create cavities. But cavities aren’t the only things going on in your Bridgeton, MO child’s mouth. Routine pediatric dental checkups every 6 months, as the AAPD suggests, will start your little one on a lifetime of good dental health. The pediatric dental services supplied by Martin Dental & Associates near Bridgeton, MO, include:
- Bridgeton, MO Infant Care
- Bridgeton, MO Tooth Brushing
- Bridgeton, MO Thumb Sucking
- Crooked Teeth
- Constricted Palate
- Orthodontic Problems
- Speech Issues
- Bridgeton, MO Tooth Eruption
- Bridgeton, MO Early Childhood Tooth Decay
- Bridgeton, MO Cavity Prevention
- Cutback on the frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Watch what you drink
- Avoid sticky foods
- Make treats part of meals
- Select nutritious snacks
- Drink an adequate amount of tap water daily
- Bridgeton, MO Gum Disease
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Buildup of hard brown deposits along the gumline
- Loose teeth or teeth that are moving apart
- Changes in the way dental appliances fit
- Topical Fluoride — Fluoride is specifically helpful for your pediatric dentist in avoiding cavities and decay, and strengthening tooth enamel near Bridgeton, MO.
- Dental Sealants — Sealants are great for protecting a child's molars from infection and cavity in Bridgeton, MO. They are painless and relatively simple to apply, and work to block unwanted particles from entering the crevices of a tooth.
- Root Canal Therapy — Root canals diminish further harm when inflammation, infection, or damage has occurred near Bridgeton, MO. Getting rid of pulp and nerve tissue from within a damaged tooth alleviates pain, prevents the formation of abscesses, and can stop issues like malocclusion from developing.
- Fillings — Children near Bridgeton, MO are more susceptible to tooth decay, plaque, and cavities because they generally are liable to consume more sugary, sticky foods and may not be as faithful to the suggested oral hygiene routine as adults.
- Bonding — Bonding is used for both general and cosmetic dentistry. A resin material almost identical to a natural tooth is shaped, inserted, and hardened. It is a quick and easy way to cover an exposed root, and is a popular solution for hiding minor chips, cracks, and gaps to give your kid a pristine smile in Bridgeton, MO. Especially after falling face first into that table.
- Orthodontic & Other Treatments — As your young one gets older in Bridgeton, MO, they may need procedures like mouth guards, space maintainers, or braces to assist in the straightening of their teeth and jaw. As they age, they will likely need wisdom teeth removal. Your pediatric dentist near you in Bridgeton, MO, Martin Dental & Associates, can provide these services and will work with your child throughout the stages of their dental needs. Contact us or give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
Even before your child gets teeth in Bridgeton, MO, there are several habits that you should work on to help ensure good oral health. Getting in the habit of cleaning your baby’s mouth with a wet washcloth after nursing/feeding is a great regime to help establish strong oral health in Bridgeton, MO.
As your baby gets older and teeth erupt, start using a child’s toothbrush with a pea-sized dab of training toothpaste. After age 2, children’s fluoridated toothpaste should be used, but limited to the size of a grain of rice. By age 3, begin to teach your child to brush. The pediatric dentists and team near you in Bridgeton, MO, at Martin Dental & Associates will assist with the procedure.
Non-nutritive sucking habits cause damage to developing oral cavities in Bridgeton, MO. There are several ways to help break a thumb or pacifier habit, and our pediatric dentists near Bridgeton, MO will work with you and your child to give specific strategies to help correct them. In some instances, an orthodontic appliance may be recommended in Bridgeton, MO. These habits can lead to:
Teeth always seem to erupt according to the circadian rhythm, and go through the greatest amount at nighttime in Bridgeton, MO. As teeth begin to erupt into the mouth, your child may experience some discomfort or sleepless nights in Bridgeton, MO. Many individuals believe that teething may cause a fever, but, this is simply not true.
Many Bridgeton, MO parents ask our pediatric dentists, “Why worry about baby teeth when they are just going to fall out?” Baby (primary) teeth are important because they not only aid in the function of the oral cavity through chewing and speech development, they help to hold space for the developing permanent teeth. When primary teeth rot, they can lead to dental pain and abscessed teeth. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, and another by the CDC, kids who have poor oral health are absent from school and receive worse grades than those who don’t. It is critical for Bridgeton, MO kids to develop solid preventative habits, starting at an early age with Dr. Martin and his staff near Bridgeton, MO.
Most of the time, cavities are due to a diet in sugary foods, drinks, and a lack of brushing. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digests the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately 20 minutes, during which the acid environment can destroy tooth structure and lead to cavities. By age 3 your child should have all 20 teeth. Between the ages of 5 and 7 the first permanent teeth will begin to erupt. Some of the permanent teeth replace baby teeth and some do not. Dr. Martin and his pediatric dental staff near Bridgeton, MO will go over some tips for cavity prevention:
While many people think periodontal disease is an adult problem in Bridgeton, MO, studies indicate that gingivitis is nearly a universal problem among children and adolescents. Gingivitis is avoidable and treatable with a regular routine of brushing, flossing, and professional pediatric dental care near Bridgeton, MO, from Martin Dental & Associates. Dr. Martin’s symptoms of gum disease near Bridgeton, MO, are:
Bridgeton, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Treatments
The staff at Martin Dental & Associates, the pediatric dentist near you in Bridgeton, MO, knows the importance of being able to communicate with your child and build a rapport. We realize it can be difficult to get a child to cooperate with a dentist or hygienist, particularly after sitting for a long period of time near Bridgeton, MO. Some of the common pediatric dental treatments we use near Bridgeton, MO, are:
Make an Appointment at the Pediatric Dentist Near Me in Bridgeton, MO | Martin Dental & Associates
You are entitled to a pediatric dentist near you in Bridgeton, MO that you feel comfortable with and trust with your child’s dental care and overall well-being. From the second you walk inside either of our two offices near Bridgeton, MO, your child’s comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority. Our welcoming and experienced staff will take care of any questions or concerns you might have prior to, during, or following your visit.
Great smiles begin with us, especially at an early age. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or contact us online today to make an appointment. New Bridgeton, MO patients are welcome at either locale.