Pediatric Dentist Near Me Jennings, MO
Pediatric Dentist Near Me Jennings, MO. It’s no secret that the first few years of parenthood are stressful. Searching, frantically trying to find a “pediatric dentist near me” in Jennings, MO shouldn’t be adding to that pull-your-hair-out or hit-the-roof level of stress. We’re here to help. With over 30 years of experience, along with two accessible locations in the Jennings, MO area, Martin Dental & Associates is the nearby pediatric dentist you’ve been looking for.
Dr. John Martin is the dentist on staff at Ranken Jordan Pediatric Hospital, providing free pediatric dental services for the children they serve. He and his team of pediatric dentists, hygienists, and staff is committed to providing top-quality dental care near you in Jennings, MO. Nothing matters more to him than making sure his Jennings, MO patients’ oral health is taken care of, particularly children.
Our team is ready to serve your Jennings, MO family’s complete dental needs, making our services as accessible near Jennings, MO and as affordable as possible. Give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Jennings, MO patients are always welcome at either location.
Jennings, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: What Is a Pediatric Dentist and When Do I Need One?
Pediatric dentists are specialists dedicated to the oral health of children, from infancy throughout the various stages of childhood and teenage years. They have an extra two to three years of specialized training after dental school. Some of this training includes:
- Advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Oral pathology
- Child development
- Clinical management
- Child psychology
- Child-related pharmacology and radiology
- Management of oral and facial trauma
- Care for young patients with special needs
- General anesthesia for children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that parents establish a pediatric dental home for their child by their first birthday, or within a few months of their first tooth coming in. This will help you introduce your child to oral care in a relaxed first meeting near Jennings, MO, and will put them on the right path to a healthy smile. The sooner children begin getting regular dental checkups, the healthier their mouths will stay throughout their lives. Early checkups help prevent cavities and tooth decay, which can lead to pain, trouble concentrating, and other medical issues.
Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among kids near Jennings, MO. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 40 percent of children have decay by the time they reach kindergarten, and 52 percent among kids aged 6 to 8. In order to fight off this decay, your child needs a complete oral health plan from a pediatric dentist near you in Jennings, MO.
Along with our pediatric dental services near you in Jennings, MO, Martin Dental & Associates provides the following services:
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Wisdom Tooth Removal
Jennings, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Services
Good oral hygiene, particularly initiated at an early age by a pediatric dentist near you in Jennings, MO, removes bacteria and leftover food particles that, without attention would, combine to create cavities. But cavities aren’t the only things going on in your Jennings, MO child’s mouth. Basic pediatric dental checkups twice a year, as the AAPD recommends, will start your child on a lifetime of good dental health. The pediatric dental services provided by Martin Dental & Associates near Jennings, MO, include:
- Jennings, MO Infant Care
- Jennings, MO Tooth Brushing
- Jennings, MO Thumb Sucking
- Crooked Teeth
- Constricted Palate
- Orthodontic Problems
- Speech Issues
- Jennings, MO Tooth Eruption
- Jennings, MO Early Childhood Tooth Decay
- Jennings, MO Cavity Prevention
- Limit frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Watch what you drink
- Stay away from sticky foods
- Make treats part of meals
- Pick nutritious snacks
- Drink an adequate amount of tap water daily
- Jennings, MO Gum Disease
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Buildup of hard brown deposits along the gumline
- Loose teeth or teeth that are moving apart
- Changes in the way dental appliances fit
- Topical Fluoride — Fluoride is particularly helpful for your pediatric dentist in avoiding cavities and decay, and strengthening tooth enamel near Jennings, MO.
- Dental Sealants — Sealants are painless and relatively simple to apply, and work to block unwanted particles from entering the crevices of a tooth. They are great for protecting a child's molars from infection and cavity in Jennings, MO.
- Root Canal Therapy — Root canals minimize further harm when inflammation, infection, or damage has happened near Jennings, MO. Getting rid of pulp and nerve tissue from within an affected tooth relieves pain, prevents the formation of abscesses, and can avert problems like malocclusion from starting.
- Fillings — Young people near Jennings, MO are more prone to tooth decay, plaque, and cavities because they normally tend to consume more sugary, sticky foods and may not be as faithful to the recommended oral hygiene routine as adults.
- Bonding — Bonding is used for both general and cosmetic dentistry. A resin material similar in appearance to a natural tooth is shaped, applied, and hardened. It is a quick and simple method to cover an exposed root, and is a popular solution for hiding minor chips, cracks, and gaps to give your kid a perfect smile in Jennings, MO. Particularly after falling face first into that table.
- Orthodontic & Other Treatments — As your child grows in Jennings, MO, they might need procedures like mouth guards, space maintainers, or braces to assist in the alignment of their teeth and jaw. As they get older, they will likely need wisdom teeth removal. Your pediatric dentist near you in Jennings, MO, Martin Dental & Associates, can provide these services and will work with your child throughout the stages of their dental needs. Contact us or give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office.
Even before your child gets teeth in Jennings, MO, there are several habits that you should work on to help ensure good oral health. Starting the practice of cleaning your baby’s mouth with a wet washcloth after nursing/feeding is a great routine to help establish strong oral hygiene in Jennings, MO.
As your baby grows and teeth erupt, begin using a child’s toothbrush with a small, pea-sized dab of training toothpaste. After age 2, children’s fluoridated toothpaste may be used, but only the size of a grain of rice. By age 3, begin to teach your child to brush. The pediatric dentists and team near you in Jennings, MO, at Martin Dental & Associates will help with the procedure.
Non-nutritive sucking habits cause damage to developing oral cavities in Jennings, MO. These habits can lead to:
There are several ways to help break a thumb or pacifier habit, and our pediatric dentists near Jennings, MO will work with you and your child to give specific strategies to help correct them. In some instances, an orthodontic appliance may be recommended in Jennings, MO
As teeth begin to erupt into the mouth, your child may experience some discomfort or sleepless nights in Jennings, MO. Teeth always seem to erupt according to the circadian rhythm, and go through the greatest amount at nighttime in Jennings, MO. A good amount of people believe that teething causes fevers, but, this is just not true.
Baby (primary) teeth are important because they not only aid in the function of the oral cavity through chewing and speech development, they help to hold space for the developing permanent teeth. Many Jennings, MO parents ask our pediatric dentists, “Why worry about baby teeth when they are just going to fall out?”. When primary teeth get decay, they can lead to dental pain and abscessed teeth. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, and another by the CDC, children who have poor oral health are absent from school and get worse grades than those who don’t. It is important for Jennings, MO children to build strong preventative habits, beginning at an early age with Dr. Martin and his team near Jennings, MO.
By age 3 your child should have all 20 teeth. Between the ages of 5 and 7 the first permanent teeth will begin to erupt. Some of the permanent teeth replace baby teeth and some do not. Most of the time, cavities are due to a diet in sugary foods, drinks, and a lack of brushing. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digests the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately 20 minutes, during which the acid environment can destroy tooth structure and lead to cavities. Dr. Martin and his pediatric dental team near Jennings, MO will go over some tips for cavity prevention:
While many individuals believe periodontal disease is an adult problem in Jennings, MO, studies show that gingivitis is essentially a universal problem among children and adolescents. Gingivitis is preventable and treatable with a regular routine of brushing, flossing, and professional pediatric dental care near Jennings, MO, from Martin Dental & Associates. Dr. Martin’s signs of gum disease near Jennings, MO, are:
Jennings, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Treatments
The staff at Martin Dental & Associates, the pediatric dentist near you in Jennings, MO, realizes it can be difficult to get a child to cooperate with a dentist or hygienist, particularly after sitting for a long period of time near Jennings, MO. So we know the importance of being able to communicate with your child and build a rapport. Some of the common pediatric dental treatments we use near Jennings, MO, are:
Make an Appointment at the Pediatric Dentist Near Me in Jennings, MO | Martin Dental & Associates
You are entitled to a pediatric dentist near you in Jennings, MO that you are comfortable with and trust with your child’s dental care and overall well-being. From the minute you step inside either of our two offices near Jennings, MO, your child’s comfort and satisfaction is our number one goal. Our welcoming and knowledgeable staff will take care of any questions or concerns you might have prior to, during, or following your visit.
Great smiles begin with us, especially at an early age. Give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Jennings, MO patients are welcome at either location.