Pediatric Dentist Near Me Hermann, MO
Pediatric Dentist Near Me Hermann, MO. It’s no secret that the first few years of parenthood are stressful. Searching, manically attempting to locate a “pediatric dentist near me” in Hermann, MO should not be adding to that pull-your-hair-out or hit-the-roof level of stress. We’re here to help. With over 30 years of experience, along with two accessible locations in the Hermann, MO area, Martin Dental & Associates is the pediatric dentist near you that you’ve been searching for.
Dr. John Martin is the dentist on staff at Ranken Jordan Pediatric Hospital, providing free pediatric dental services for the children they serve. He and his team of pediatric dentists, hygienists, and staff is committed to providing top-quality dental care near you in Hermann, MO. Nothing matters more to him than making sure his Hermann, MO patients’ oral health is taken care of, particularly children.
Our team is ready to serve your Hermann, MO family’s complete dental needs, making our services as accessible near Hermann, MO and as affordable as possible. Give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Hermann, MO patients are always welcome at either location.
Hermann, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: What Is a Pediatric Dentist and When Do I Need One?
Pediatric dentists are specialists dedicated to the oral health of children, from infancy throughout the various stages of childhood and teenage years. They have an extra two to three years of specialized training after dental school. Some of this training includes:
- Advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Oral pathology
- Child development
- Clinical management
- Child psychology
- Child-related pharmacology and radiology
- Management of oral and facial trauma
- Care for young patients with special needs
- General anesthesia for children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that parents establish a pediatric dental home for their child by their first birthday, or within a few months of their first tooth coming in. This will help you introduce your child to oral care in a relaxed first meeting near Hermann, MO, and will put them on the right path to a healthy smile. The sooner children begin getting regular dental checkups, the healthier their mouths will stay throughout their lives. Early checkups help prevent cavities and tooth decay, which can lead to pain, trouble concentrating, and other medical issues.
Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among kids near Hermann, MO. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 40 percent of children have decay by the time they reach kindergarten, and 52 percent among kids aged 6 to 8. In order to stave off this decay, your child needs a complete oral health plan from a pediatric dentist near you in Hermann, MO.
In addition to our pediatric dental services near you in Hermann, MO, Martin Dental & Associates provides the following services:
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
- Wisdom Tooth Removal
- Tooth Bonding
- Dental Office
Hermann, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Services
Good oral hygiene, especially started at an early age by a pediatric dentist near you in Hermann, MO, gets rid of bacteria and leftover food particles that, without attention would, combine to cause cavities. But cavities aren’t the only things building in your Hermann, MO child’s mouth. Basic pediatric dental checkups every 6 months, as the AAPD suggests, will begin your child on a trajectory of good dental health for life. The pediatric dental services supplied by Martin Dental & Associates near Hermann, MO, include:
- Hermann, MO Infant Care
- Hermann, MO Tooth Brushing
- Hermann, MO Thumb Sucking
- Crooked Teeth
- Constricted Palate
- Orthodontic Problems
- Speech Issues
- Hermann, MO Tooth Eruption
- Hermann, MO Early Childhood Tooth Decay
- Hermann, MO Cavity Prevention
- Cutback on the frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Watch what you drink
- Stay away from sticky foods
- Make treats part of meals
- Select nutritious snacks
- Drink an adequate amount of tap water daily
- Hermann, MO Gum Disease
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Buildup of hard brown deposits along the gumline
- Loose teeth or teeth that are moving apart
- Changes in the way dental appliances fit
- Topical Fluoride — Fluoride is especially beneficial for your pediatric dentist in preventing cavities and decay, and bolstering tooth enamel near Hermann, MO.
- Dental Sealants — Sealants are great for protecting a child's molars from infection and cavity in Hermann, MO. They are painless and relatively simple to apply, and work to block unwanted particles from entering the crevices of a tooth.
- Root Canal Therapy — Root canals minimize further harm when inflammation, infection, or damage has occurred near Hermann, MO. Getting rid of pulp and nerve tissue from within an affected tooth relieves pain, prevents the formation of abscesses, and can avert issues like malocclusion from developing.
- Fillings — Young people near Hermann, MO are more susceptible to tooth decay, plaque, and cavities because they normally are liable to consume more sugary, sticky foods and may not be as staunch to the suggested oral hygiene plan as adults.
- Bonding — Bonding is used for both general and cosmetic dentistry. A resin material almost identical to a natural tooth is shaped, inserted, and hardened. It is a quick and easy way to cover an exposed root, and is a common solution for hiding minor chips, cracks, and gaps to give your kid a pristine smile in Hermann, MO. Especially after falling face first into that table.
- Orthodontic & Other Treatments — As your young one gets older in Hermann, MO, they might need procedures like mouth guards, space maintainers, or braces to assist in the alignment of their teeth and jaw. As they age, they will likely need wisdom teeth removal. Your pediatric dentist near you in Hermann, MO, Martin Dental & Associates, can provide these services and will work with your child throughout the stages of their dental needs. Reach out to us or call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
Even before your child gets teeth in Hermann, MO, there are several habits that you should work on to help ensure good oral health. Starting the practice of wiping your baby’s mouth with a wet washcloth after nursing/feeding is a great regime to help in establishing strong oral hygiene in Hermann, MO.
As your baby grows and teeth erupt, start using a child’s toothbrush with a small, pea-sized dab of training toothpaste. After age 2, children’s fluoridated toothpaste should be used, but limited to the size of a grain of rice. By age 3, start teaching your child to brush. The pediatric dentists and team near you in Hermann, MO, at Martin Dental & Associates will assist with the procedure.
Non-nutritive sucking habits cause damage to developing oral cavities in Hermann, MO. There are several ways to help break a thumb or pacifier habit, and our pediatric dentists near Hermann, MO will work with you and your child to give specific strategies to help correct them. In some instances, an orthodontic appliance may be recommended in Hermann, MO. These habits can lead to:
Teeth always seem to erupt according to the circadian rhythm, and go through the greatest amount at nighttime in Hermann, MO. As teeth begin to erupt into the mouth, your child may experience some discomfort or sleepless nights in Hermann, MO. A good amount of individuals believe that teething may cause a fever, but, this is simply not true.
Many Hermann, MO parents ask our pediatric dentists, “Why worry about baby teeth when they are just going to fall out?” Baby (primary) teeth are important because they not only aid in the function of the oral cavity through chewing and speech development, they help to hold space for the developing permanent teeth. When primary teeth rot, they can cause severe dental pain and abscessed teeth. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, and another by the CDC, children who have poor oral health are absent from school and get lower grades than those who don’t. It is important for Hermann, MO kids to build strong preventative habits, starting at an early age with Dr. Martin and his team near Hermann, MO.
By age 3 your child should have all 20 teeth. Between the ages of 5 and 7 the first permanent teeth will begin to erupt. Some of the permanent teeth replace baby teeth and some do not. Most of the time, cavities are due to a diet in sugary foods, drinks, and a lack of brushing. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digests the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately 20 minutes, during which the acid environment can destroy tooth structure and lead to cavities. Dr. Martin and his pediatric dental staff near Hermann, MO will go over some tips for cavity prevention:
While many individuals believe periodontal disease is an adult problem in Hermann, MO, studies show that gingivitis is essentially a universal issue among children and adolescents. Gingivitis is preventable and treatable with a regular routine of brushing, flossing, and professional pediatric dental care near Hermann, MO, from Martin Dental & Associates. Dr. Martin’s signs of gum disease near Hermann, MO, are:
Hermann, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Treatments
The staff at Martin Dental & Associates, the pediatric dentist near you in Hermann, MO, realizes it can be difficult to get a child to cooperate with a dentist or hygienist, particularly after sitting for a long period of time near Hermann, MO. So we know the importance of being able to communicate with your child and build a rapport. Some of the common pediatric dental treatments we use near Hermann, MO, include:
Make an Appointment at the Pediatric Dentist Near Me in Hermann, MO | Martin Dental & Associates
You are entitled to a pediatric dentist near you in Hermann, MO that you feel at ease with and trust with your kid’s dental care and overall well-being. From the second you step inside either of our two offices near Hermann, MO, your child’s comfort and happiness is our number one goal. Our welcoming and knowledgeable staff will take care of any questions or concerns you might have prior to, during, or following your visit.
Great smiles begin with us, even at an early age. Give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or contact us online as soon as possible to make an appointment. New Hermann, MO patients are welcome at either locale.