Pediatric Dentist Near Me Manchester, MO
Pediatric Dentist Near Me Manchester, MO. It’s no secret that the first few years of parenthood are stressful. Looking, desperately attempting to find a “pediatric dentist near me” in Manchester, MO shouldn’t be adding to that pull-your-hair-out or hit-the-roof level of stress. We’re here to help. With over 30 years of experience, along with two convenient locations in the Manchester, MO area, Martin Dental & Associates is the nearby pediatric dentist you’ve been searching for.
Dr. John Martin is the dentist on staff at Ranken Jordan Pediatric Hospital, providing free pediatric dental services for the children they serve. He and his team of pediatric dentists, hygienists, and staff is committed to providing top-quality dental care near you in Manchester, MO. Nothing matters more to him than making sure his Manchester, MO patients’ oral health is taken care of, particularly children.
Our team is ready to serve your Manchester, MO family’s complete dental needs, making our services as accessible near Manchester, MO and as affordable as possible. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Manchester, MO patients are always welcome at either location.
Manchester, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: What Is a Pediatric Dentist and When Do I Need One?
Pediatric dentists are specialists dedicated to the oral health of children, from infancy throughout the various stages of childhood and teenage years. They have an extra two to three years of specialized training after dental school. Some of this training includes:
- Advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Oral pathology
- Child development
- Clinical management
- Child psychology
- Child-related pharmacology and radiology
- Management of oral and facial trauma
- Care for young patients with special needs
- General anesthesia for children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that parents establish a pediatric dental home for their child by their first birthday, or within a few months of their first tooth coming in. This will help you introduce your child to oral care in a relaxed first meeting near Manchester, MO, and will put them on the right path to a healthy smile. The sooner children begin getting regular dental checkups, the healthier their mouths will stay throughout their lives. Early checkups help prevent cavities and tooth decay, which can lead to pain, trouble concentrating, and other medical issues.
Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among kids near Manchester, MO. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 40 percent of children have decay by the time they reach kindergarten, and 52 percent among kids aged 6 to 8. In order to stave off this decay, your child needs an entire oral health plan from a pediatric dentist near you in Manchester, MO.
In addition to our pediatric dental services near you in Manchester, MO, Martin Dental & Associates provides the following services:
Manchester, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Services
Good oral hygiene, particularly initiated at an early age by a pediatric dentist near you in Manchester, MO, gets rid of bacteria and leftover food particles that, normally would, combine to create cavities. But cavities aren’t the only things building in your Manchester, MO child’s mouth. Routine pediatric dental checkups twice a year, as the AAPD recommends, will begin your child on a lifetime of good dental health. The pediatric dental services provided by Martin Dental & Associates near Manchester, MO, include:
- Manchester, MO Infant Care
- Manchester, MO Tooth Brushing
- Manchester, MO Thumb Sucking
- Crooked Teeth
- Constricted Palate
- Orthodontic Problems
- Speech Issues
- Manchester, MO Tooth Eruption
- Manchester, MO Early Childhood Tooth Decay
- Manchester, MO Cavity Prevention
- Limit frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Watch what you drink
- Avoid sticky foods
- Make treats part of meals
- Select nutritious snacks
- Drink an adequate amount of tap water daily
- Manchester, MO Gum Disease
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Buildup of hard brown deposits along the gumline
- Loose teeth or teeth that are moving apart
- Changes in the way dental appliances fit
- Topical Fluoride — Fluoride is specifically beneficial for your pediatric dentist in preventing cavities and decay, and bolstering tooth enamel near Manchester, MO.
- Dental Sealants — Sealants are painless and relatively simple to apply, and work to block unwanted particles from entering the crevices of a tooth. They are great for protecting a child's molars from infection and cavity in Manchester, MO.
- Root Canal Therapy — Root canals minimize further injury when inflammation, infection, or damage has occurred near Manchester, MO. Getting rid of pulp and nerve tissue from within a damaged tooth relieves pain, prevents the formation of abscesses, and can avert issues like malocclusion from starting.
- Fillings — Young people near Manchester, MO are more susceptible to tooth decay, plaque, and cavities because they normally are liable to consume more sugary, sticky foods and may not be as faithful to the suggested oral hygiene plan as adults.
- Bonding — Bonding is used for both general and cosmetic dentistry. A resin material almost identical to a natural tooth is shaped, applied, and hardened. It is a quick and simple method to protect an exposed root, and is a popular solution for masking minor chips, cracks, and gaps to give your child a perfect smile in Manchester, MO. Particularly after falling face first into that table.
- Orthodontic & Other Treatments — As your child gets older in Manchester, MO, they may need procedures like mouth guards, space maintainers, or braces to assist in the alignment of their teeth and jaw. As they age, they will likely need wisdom teeth removal. Your pediatric dentist near you in Manchester, MO, Martin Dental & Associates, can supply these services and will work with your child throughout the stages of their dental needs. Contact us or call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
Even before your child gets teeth in Manchester, MO, there are several habits that you should work on to help ensure good oral health. Getting in the habit of cleaning your baby’s mouth with a wet washcloth after nursing/feeding is a great routine to help in establishing strong oral health in Manchester, MO.
As your baby grows and teeth erupt, begin using a child’s toothbrush with a pea-sized dab of training toothpaste. After age 2, children’s fluoridated toothpaste should be used, but only the size of a grain of rice. By age 3, begin to teach your child to brush. The pediatric dentists and team near you in Manchester, MO, at Martin Dental & Associates will assist with the procedure.
Non-nutritive sucking habits cause damage to developing oral cavities in Manchester, MO. These habits can lead to:
There are several ways to help break a thumb or pacifier habit, and our pediatric dentists near Manchester, MO will work with you and your child to give specific strategies to help correct them. In some instances, an orthodontic appliance may be recommended in Manchester, MO
As teeth begin to erupt into the mouth, your child may experience some discomfort or sleepless nights in Manchester, MO. Teeth always seem to erupt according to the circadian rhythm, and go through the greatest amount at nighttime in Manchester, MO. Many individuals believe that teething causes fevers, however, this is simply not true.
Baby (primary) teeth are important because they not only aid in the function of the oral cavity through chewing and speech development, they help to hold space for the developing permanent teeth. Many Manchester, MO parents ask our pediatric dentists, “Why worry about baby teeth when they are just going to fall out?”. When primary teeth get decay, they can cause severe dental pain and abscessed teeth. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, and an additional one by the CDC, kids who have poor oral hygiene are absent from school and get lower grades than those who don’t. It is vital for Manchester, MO kids to build solid preventative habits, starting at an early age with Dr. Martin and his staff near Manchester, MO.
Most of the time, cavities are due to a diet in sugary foods, drinks, and a lack of brushing. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digests the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately 20 minutes, during which the acid environment can destroy tooth structure and lead to cavities. By age 3 your child should have all 20 teeth. Between the ages of 5 and 7 the first permanent teeth will begin to erupt. Some of the permanent teeth replace baby teeth and some do not. Dr. Martin and his pediatric dental team near Manchester, MO will go over some tips for cavity prevention:
While many individuals believe periodontal disease is an adult problem in Manchester, MO, studies show that gingivitis is essentially a universal issue among children and adolescents. Gingivitis is preventable and treatable with a regular routine of brushing, flossing, and professional pediatric dental care near Manchester, MO, from Martin Dental & Associates. Dr. Martin’s signs of gum disease near Manchester, MO, are:
Manchester, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Treatments
The staff at Martin Dental & Associates, the pediatric dentist near you in Manchester, MO, realizes it can be difficult to get a child to cooperate with a dentist or hygienist, particularly after sitting for a long period of time near Manchester, MO. So we know the importance of being able to communicate with your child and build a rapport. Some of the common pediatric dental treatments we use near Manchester, MO, are:
Make an Appointment at the Pediatric Dentist Near Me in Manchester, MO | Martin Dental & Associates
You are entitled to a pediatric dentist near you in Manchester, MO that you feel comfortable with and trust with your child’s dental care and overall well-being. From the second you step inside either of our two offices near Manchester, MO, your child’s comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority. Our cordial and experienced staff will take care of any questions or concerns you might have before, during, or following your visit.
Great smiles begin with us, especially at an early age. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or reach out to us online today to make an appointment. New Manchester, MO patients are welcome at either locale.