Pediatric Dentist Near Me Richmond Heights, MO
Pediatric Dentist Near Me Richmond Heights, MO. It’s no secret that the first few years of parenthood are stressful. Searching, manically trying to find a “pediatric dentist near me” in Richmond Heights, MO should not be adding to that pull-your-hair-out or hit-the-roof level of stress. We’re here to help. With over 30 years of experience, along with two accessible locations in the Richmond Heights, MO area, Martin Dental & Associates is the pediatric dentist near you that you’ve been searching for.
Dr. John Martin is the dentist on staff at Ranken Jordan Pediatric Hospital, providing free pediatric dental services for the children they serve. He and his team of pediatric dentists, hygienists, and staff is committed to providing top-quality dental care near you in Richmond Heights, MO. Nothing matters more to him than making sure his Richmond Heights, MO patients’ oral health is taken care of, particularly children.
Our team is ready to serve your Richmond Heights, MO family’s complete dental needs, making our services as accessible near Richmond Heights, MO and as affordable as possible. Give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Richmond Heights, MO patients are always welcome at either location.
Richmond Heights, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: What Is a Pediatric Dentist and When Do I Need One?
Pediatric dentists are specialists dedicated to the oral health of children, from infancy throughout the various stages of childhood and teenage years. They have an extra two to three years of specialized training after dental school. Some of this training includes:
- Advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Oral pathology
- Child development
- Clinical management
- Child psychology
- Child-related pharmacology and radiology
- Management of oral and facial trauma
- Care for young patients with special needs
- General anesthesia for children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that parents establish a pediatric dental home for their child by their first birthday, or within a few months of their first tooth coming in. This will help you introduce your child to oral care in a relaxed first meeting near Richmond Heights, MO, and will put them on the right path to a healthy smile. The sooner children begin getting regular dental checkups, the healthier their mouths will stay throughout their lives. Early checkups help prevent cavities and tooth decay, which can lead to pain, trouble concentrating, and other medical issues.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that over 40 percent of children have decay by the time they reach kindergarten, and 52 percent among kids aged 6 to 8. Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among kids near Richmond Heights, MO. In order to stave off this decay, your child needs a complete oral health plan from a pediatric dentist near you in Richmond Heights, MO.
Along with our pediatric dental services near you in Richmond Heights, MO, Martin Dental & Associates provides the following services:
- Cosmetic Dentistry Services
- Severe Tooth Pain
- Crowded Teeth
- All on 4 Dental Implants
- Chipped Tooth Repair
- Best Dentist Near Me
- Dental Surgeon Near Me
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
Richmond Heights, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Services
Good oral hygiene, especially initiated at an early age by a pediatric dentist near you in Richmond Heights, MO, removes bacteria and leftover food particles that, without attention would, combine to create cavities. But cavities aren’t the only things going on in your Richmond Heights, MO child’s mouth. Basic pediatric dental checkups every 6 months, as the AAPD recommends, will begin your child on a lifetime of good dental health. The pediatric dental services provided by Martin Dental & Associates near Richmond Heights, MO, include:
- Richmond Heights, MO Infant Care
- Richmond Heights, MO Tooth Brushing
- Richmond Heights, MO Thumb Sucking
- Crooked Teeth
- Constricted Palate
- Orthodontic Problems
- Speech Issues
- Richmond Heights, MO Tooth Eruption
- Richmond Heights, MO Early Childhood Tooth Decay
- Richmond Heights, MO Cavity Prevention
- Cutback on the frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Watch what you drink
- Stay away from sticky foods
- Make treats part of meals
- Pick nutritious snacks
- Drink an adequate amount of tap water daily
- Richmond Heights, MO Gum Disease
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Buildup of hard brown deposits along the gumline
- Loose teeth or teeth that are moving apart
- Changes in the way dental appliances fit
- Topical Fluoride — Fluoride is especially beneficial for your pediatric dentist in preventing cavities and decay, and bolstering tooth enamel near Richmond Heights, MO.
- Dental Sealants — Sealants are great for protecting a child's molars from infection and cavity in Richmond Heights, MO. They are painless and relatively simple to apply, and work to block unwanted particles from entering the crevices of a tooth.
- Root Canal Therapy — Root canals diminish further injury when inflammation, infection, or damage has occurred near Richmond Heights, MO. Getting rid of pulp and nerve tissue from within an affected tooth relieves pain, prevents the formation of abscesses, and can stop issues like malocclusion from developing.
- Fillings — Children near Richmond Heights, MO are more prone to tooth decay, plaque, and cavities because they normally tend to consume more sugary, sticky foods and may not be as devoted to the suggested oral hygiene routine as adults.
- Bonding — Bonding is used for both general and cosmetic dentistry. A resin material almost identical to a natural tooth is shaped, inserted, and hardened. It is a quick and easy method to protect an exposed root, and is a popular solution for hiding minor chips, cracks, and gaps to give your kid a perfect smile in Richmond Heights, MO. Particularly after falling face first into that table.
- Orthodontic & Other Treatments — As your young one gets older in Richmond Heights, MO, they may need things like mouth guards, space maintainers, or braces to assist in the straightening of their teeth and jaw. As they age, they will likely need wisdom teeth removal. Your pediatric dentist near you in Richmond Heights, MO, Martin Dental & Associates, can supply these services and will work with your child throughout the stages of their dental needs. Reach out to us or give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights office, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office.
Even before your child gets teeth in Richmond Heights, MO, there are several habits that you should work on to help ensure good oral health. Starting the habit of wiping your baby’s mouth with a wet washcloth after nursing/feeding is a great regime to help establish strong oral hygiene in Richmond Heights, MO.
As your baby gets older and teeth erupt, begin using a child’s toothbrush with a pea-sized amount of training toothpaste. After age 2, children’s fluoridated toothpaste should be used, but limited to the size of a grain of rice. By age 3, start teaching your child to brush. The pediatric dentists and team near you in Richmond Heights, MO, at Martin Dental & Associates will assist with the procedure.
Non-nutritive sucking habits cause damage to developing oral cavities in Richmond Heights, MO. These habits can lead to:
There are several ways to help break a thumb or pacifier habit, and our pediatric dentists near Richmond Heights, MO will work with you and your child to give specific strategies to help correct them. In some instances, an orthodontic appliance may be recommended in Richmond Heights, MO
As teeth begin to erupt into the mouth, your child may experience some discomfort or sleepless nights in Richmond Heights, MO. Teeth always seem to erupt according to the circadian rhythm, and go through the greatest amount at nighttime in Richmond Heights, MO. A good amount of individuals believe that teething causes fevers, however, this is simply not true.
Baby (primary) teeth are important because they not only aid in the function of the oral cavity through chewing and speech development, they help to hold space for the developing permanent teeth. Many Richmond Heights, MO parents ask our pediatric dentists, “Why worry about baby teeth when they are just going to fall out?”. When primary teeth get decay, they can lead to dental pain and abscessed teeth. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, and another by the CDC, children who have poor oral health miss more school and get lower grades than those who don’t. It is vital for Richmond Heights, MO kids to cultivate solid preventative habits, beginning at an early age with Dr. Martin and his team near Richmond Heights, MO.
By age 3 your child should have all 20 teeth. Between the ages of 5 and 7 the first permanent teeth will begin to erupt. Some of the permanent teeth replace baby teeth and some do not. Most of the time, cavities are due to a diet in sugary foods, drinks, and a lack of brushing. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digests the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately 20 minutes, during which the acid environment can destroy tooth structure and lead to cavities. Dr. Martin and his pediatric dental team near Richmond Heights, MO will go over some tips for cavity prevention:
While many individuals believe periodontal disease is an adult problem in Richmond Heights, MO, studies indicate that gingivitis is essentially a universal problem among children and adolescents. Gingivitis is preventable and treatable with a normal routine of brushing, flossing, and professional pediatric dental care near Richmond Heights, MO, from Martin Dental & Associates. Dr. Martin’s signs of gum disease near Richmond Heights, MO, are:
Richmond Heights, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Treatments
The staff at Martin Dental & Associates, the pediatric dentist near you in Richmond Heights, MO, realizes it can be difficult to get a child to cooperate with a dentist or hygienist, particularly after sitting for a long period of time near Richmond Heights, MO. So we know the importance of being able to communicate with your child and build a rapport. Some of the common pediatric dental treatments we use near Richmond Heights, MO, include:
Make an Appointment at the Pediatric Dentist Near Me in Richmond Heights, MO | Martin Dental & Associates
You deserve a pediatric dentist near you in Richmond Heights, MO that you feel comfortable with and trust with your kid’s dental care and overall well-being. From the second you step inside either of our two offices near Richmond Heights, MO, your child’s comfort and happiness is our number one priority. Our welcoming and knowledgeable staff will take care of any questions or concerns you might have prior to, during, or following your visit.
Great smiles begin with us, even at an early age. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or reach out to us online today to schedule an appointment. New Richmond Heights, MO patients are welcome at either locale.