Pediatric Dentist Near Me Kent, MO
Pediatric Dentist Near Me Kent, MO. The first few years of parenthood are stressful, to say the least. Looking, manically trying to locate a “pediatric dentist near me” in Kent, MO should not be adding to that pull-your-hair-out or hit-the-roof level of stress. We’re here to help. With over 30 years of experience, along with two convenient locations in the Kent, MO area, Martin Dental & Associates is the nearby pediatric dentist you’ve been looking for.
Dr. John Martin is the dentist on staff at Ranken Jordan Pediatric Hospital, providing free pediatric dental services for the children they serve. He and his team of pediatric dentists, hygienists, and staff is committed to providing top-quality dental care near you in Kent, MO. Nothing matters more to him than making sure his Kent, MO patients’ oral health is taken care of, particularly children.
Our team is ready to serve your Kent, MO family’s complete dental needs, making our services as accessible near Kent, MO and as affordable as possible. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. New Kent, MO patients are always welcome at either location.
Kent, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: What Is a Pediatric Dentist and When Do I Need One?
Pediatric dentists are specialists dedicated to the oral health of children, from infancy throughout the various stages of childhood and teenage years. They have an extra two to three years of specialized training after dental school. Some of this training includes:
- Advanced diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Oral pathology
- Child development
- Clinical management
- Child psychology
- Child-related pharmacology and radiology
- Management of oral and facial trauma
- Care for young patients with special needs
- General anesthesia for children
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that parents establish a pediatric dental home for their child by their first birthday, or within a few months of their first tooth coming in. This will help you introduce your child to oral care in a relaxed first meeting near Kent, MO, and will put them on the right path to a healthy smile. The sooner children begin getting regular dental checkups, the healthier their mouths will stay throughout their lives. Early checkups help prevent cavities and tooth decay, which can lead to pain, trouble concentrating, and other medical issues.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that over 40 percent of children have decay by the time they reach kindergarten, and 52 percent among kids aged 6 to 8. Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among kids near Kent, MO. In order to ward off this decay, your child needs an entire oral health plan from a pediatric dentist near you in Kent, MO.
In addition to our pediatric dental services near you in Kent, MO, Martin Dental & Associates provides the following services:
- Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Dental Care
- Kids Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office Near Me
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dentists Near Me
- Family Dentist
Kent, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Services
Good oral hygiene, especially started at an early age by a pediatric dentist near you in Kent, MO, removes bacteria and leftover food particles that, normally would, combine to create cavities. But cavities aren’t the only things building in your Kent, MO child’s mouth. Routine pediatric dental checkups every 6 months, as the AAPD recommends, will put your little one on a trajectory of good oral health for life. The pediatric dental services supplied by Martin Dental & Associates near Kent, MO, include:
- Kent, MO Infant Care
- Kent, MO Tooth Brushing
- Kent, MO Thumb Sucking
- Crooked Teeth
- Constricted Palate
- Orthodontic Problems
- Speech Issues
- Kent, MO Tooth Eruption
- Kent, MO Early Childhood Tooth Decay
- Kent, MO Cavity Prevention
- Limit frequency of meals and snacks
- Encourage brushing, flossing, and rinsing
- Watch what you drink
- Stay away from sticky foods
- Make treats part of meals
- Select nutritious snacks
- Drink an adequate amount of tap water daily
- Kent, MO Gum Disease
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath
- Buildup of hard brown deposits along the gumline
- Loose teeth or teeth that are moving apart
- Changes in the way dental appliances fit
- Topical Fluoride — Fluoride is particularly helpful for your pediatric dentist in avoiding cavities and decay, and bolstering tooth enamel near Kent, MO.
- Dental Sealants — Sealants are great for protecting a child's molars from infection and cavity in Kent, MO. They are painless and relatively simple to apply, and work to block unwanted particles from entering the crevices of a tooth.
- Root Canal Therapy — Root canals minimize further injury when inflammation, infection, or damage has occurred near Kent, MO. Removing pulp and nerve tissue from within a damaged tooth alleviates pain, prevents the formation of abscesses, and can stop problems like malocclusion from starting.
- Fillings — Young people near Kent, MO are more prone to tooth decay, plaque, and cavities because they normally are liable to eat more sugary, sticky foods and may not be as faithful to the suggested oral hygiene routine as adults.
- Bonding — Bonding is used for both general and cosmetic dentistry. A resin material similar in appearance to a natural tooth is shaped, applied, and hardened. It is a quick and simple method to protect an exposed root, and is a popular solution for masking minor chips, cracks, and gaps to give your child a pristine smile in Kent, MO. Especially after falling face first into that table.
- Orthodontic & Other Treatments — As your young one ages in Kent, MO, they might need things like mouth guards, space maintainers, or braces to assist in the straightening of their teeth and jaw. As they age, they will likely need wisdom teeth removal. Your pediatric dentist near you in Kent, MO, Martin Dental & Associates, can supply these services and will work with your child throughout the stages of their dental needs. Contact us or give us a call at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard location.
Even before your child gets teeth in Kent, MO, there are several habits that you should work on to help ensure good oral health. Starting the practice of cleaning your baby’s mouth with a wet washcloth after nursing/feeding is a great routine to help establish strong oral health in Kent, MO.
As your baby grows and teeth erupt, begin using a child’s toothbrush with a small, pea-sized amount of training toothpaste. After age 2, children’s fluoridated toothpaste may be used, but only the size of a grain of rice. By age 3, begin to teach your child to brush. The pediatric dentists and team near you in Kent, MO, at Martin Dental & Associates will assist with the procedure.
Non-nutritive sucking habits cause damage to developing oral cavities in Kent, MO. There are several ways to help break a thumb or pacifier habit, and our pediatric dentists near Kent, MO will work with you and your child to give specific strategies to help correct them. In some instances, an orthodontic appliance may be recommended in Kent, MO. These habits can lead to:
Teeth always seem to erupt according to the circadian rhythm, and go through the greatest amount at nighttime in Kent, MO. As teeth begin to erupt into the mouth, your child may experience some discomfort or sleepless nights in Kent, MO. A good amount of people believe that teething may cause a fever, but, this is simply not true.
Many Kent, MO parents ask our pediatric dentists, “Why worry about baby teeth when they are just going to fall out?” Baby (primary) teeth are important because they not only aid in the function of the oral cavity through chewing and speech development, they help to hold space for the developing permanent teeth. When primary teeth get decay, they can lead to dental pain and abscessed teeth. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, and another by the CDC, children who have poor oral hygiene are absent from school and receive worse grades than those who don’t. It is critical for Kent, MO kids to develop strong preventative habits, beginning at an early age with Dr. Martin and his team near Kent, MO.
Most of the time, cavities are due to a diet in sugary foods, drinks, and a lack of brushing. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digests the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately 20 minutes, during which the acid environment can destroy tooth structure and lead to cavities. By age 3 your child should have all 20 teeth. Between the ages of 5 and 7 the first permanent teeth will begin to erupt. Some of the permanent teeth replace baby teeth and some do not. Dr. Martin and his pediatric dental staff near Kent, MO will go over some tips for cavity prevention:
While many individuals think periodontal disease is an adult problem in Kent, MO, studies show that gingivitis is essentially a universal issue among children and adolescents. Gingivitis is preventable and treatable with a regular routine of brushing, flossing, and professional pediatric dental care near Kent, MO, from Martin Dental & Associates. Dr. Martin’s symptoms of gum disease near Kent, MO, are:
Kent, MO Pediatric Dentist Near Me: Our Pediatric Dental Treatments
The staff at Martin Dental & Associates, the pediatric dentist near you in Kent, MO, realizes it can be difficult to get a child to cooperate with a dentist or hygienist, particularly after sitting for a long period of time near Kent, MO. So we know the importance of being able to communicate with your child and build a rapport. Some of the common pediatric dental treatments we use near Kent, MO, are:
Make an Appointment at the Pediatric Dentist Near Me in Kent, MO | Martin Dental & Associates
You deserve a pediatric dentist near you in Kent, MO that you feel comfortable with and trust with your child’s dental care and overall well-being. From the moment you step inside either of our two offices near Kent, MO, your child’s comfort and happiness is our number one goal. Our cordial and knowledgeable staff will address any questions or concerns you may have prior to, during, or following your visit.
Great smiles begin with us, even at an early age. Call us at 314-739-1222 for our Maryland Heights location, or 573-764-2425 for our Gerard office, or contact us online as soon as possible to make an appointment. New Kent, MO patients are welcome at either locale.