Periodontist, Earth City, MO
Periodontal disease (Periodontitis) is a severe oral health condition, that, if untreated, can damage a patient's jaw bone, form deep pockets in a person's gums, cause chronic gum pain, and in its advanced stages, lead to the erosion of enamel and tooth loss.
If periodontal disease goes untreated, it won't clear up on its own. Periodontitis requires aggressive treatment from a periodontitis, specially formulated dental solutions, and at-home treatment to heal properly. The best way to limit the effects of periodontal disease is seeking immediate medical attention from an experienced Earth City Periodontist.
Martin Dental & Associates specializes in periodontal disease treatment, restoration of dental implants, and other types of surgical dentistry in Earth City. If you have swollen gums, bleeding when you floss, or have noticed spacing in your teeth, you need to call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights) or (573) 764-2425 (Gerald) and book an appointment with a periodontist right away to protect your oral health.
When Should You See a Periodontist?
Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting a dentist twice a year can help prevent gum disease, but some patients are more susceptible to certain oral health conditions.
Periodontal disease is typically detected during standard dentist appointments. During a dental examination, your dentist will use a "probe," which is a tiny ruler, to measure the depth of your teeth's pockets, search for bone loss or damage, and look for other signs of gum disease, oral cancer, and other conditions.
If you have noticed any of the following symptoms, you could have periodontitis and require immediate treatment from a Earth City Periodontist:
- Swollen, tender, or bleeding gums - when periodontal bacteria develops, it can lead to extreme gum sensitivity, bleeding gums, and spacing between teeth
- Abnormal spaces between teeth - plaque buildup and calculus can lead to gum recession and tooth loss, and destroy the jaw bone
- Chronic tooth pain - gum inflammation can cause deep pockets surrounding the teeth, that fill with pus, and when food, air, or water touches it, can lead to extreme sensitivity and pain, and make it challenging to eat, drink, or talk
Oral bacterial infections, such as perodontitis, can be prevented with regular visits to the dentist office, specialty dental products, and brushing/flossing at home between dental appointments. But, if you do develop periodontitis, it's essential to keep in mind that it isn't permanent and can be healed with aggressive periodontal disease treatment.
Periodontal Disease Treatment in Earth City
There are several stages of gum disease; gingivitis and slight, moderate, and advanced periodontitis. Each level of periodontitis comes with different challenges and therefore, requires specialized treatment.
If your Earth City Periodontist thinks that you might have periodontitis, you could require one or more of the following types of periodontal disease treatment:
- Scaling, or, tartar and buildup removal, which is performed using a dental scaler to scratch buildup from the surface of each individual tooth and between the gums
- Root planing, commonly known as "deep cleaning," is perfomed using a dental scaler to smooth down the roots of teeth to prevent infection. Root planing also helps teeth that might have loosened reattach to gums
- Applying topical antibiotics to remove harmful bacteria from between a patient's teeth, inside deep pockets, and under the gum line
- Flap surgery is performed using a small dental knife to make a slight incision in the infected gum, then pulling back the flap and deep scaling/root planing
- Soft tissue grafting repairs soft tissue damage caused by periodontitis using small pieces of healthy tissue from other parts of the mouth
- Bone grafting, which is used during advanced periodontal disease treatment, involves using bone from non-infected areas to stimulate natural regrowth of bone and prevent future tooth loss
- Guided tissue regeneration is performed using a thin, but malleable, dental fabric, and placing it between the infected tooth and existing bone to limit infection and aid in regrowth of natural bone that was destroyed by periodontitis
- Tissue-stimulating proteins are a special gel that is applied to a diseased tooth root to prevent deeper infection and stimulate natural growth of bone and tissue
After a Earth City Periodontist provides in-office treatment, at-home oral health maintenance involves brushing twice a day, flossing daily or after every snack and meal, using fluoride mouth rinses to prevent infection, and a water pick to clean along the gum line.
Earth City Periodontist
If you think that you might have periodontitis or some form of gum disease, you need to seek treatment from a Earth City periodontist immediately. The sooner that gum disease and periodontal disease are detected, the lower chance there is for severe, irreversible damage such as tooth loss, gum decay, and bone destruction.
Dr. John Martin and Dr. Tyler Musto have more than 35 years of experienced in the St. Louis dental industry. Our goal at Martin Dental & Associates is to get your oral health in optimal shape, prevent future tooth, gum, or other oral health conditions, and make sure that you are happy with your experience every time you leave our office.
If you are looking for a periodontist in Earth City, call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights), (573) 764-2425 (Gerald), or contact Martin Dental & Associates today to schedule an appointment.
Martin Dental & Associates serves residents in the following cities in the Greater St. Louis Area: