Periodontist, Black Jack, MO
Periodontal disease (Periodontitis) affects the area of the gums that holds the teeth in place. Minor gum infections can cause bad breath, bleeding gums, and sensitivity, but severe infections such as Periodontitis can cause tooth loss, jaw bone damage, and other permanent damage to a person's smile.
If periodontal disease goes untreated, it won't clear up on its own. Periodontitis requires aggressive treatment from a periodontitis, specially formulated dental solutions, and at-home treatment to heal properly. The best way to limit the effects of periodontal disease is seeking immediate medical attention from an experienced Black Jack Periodontist.
Martin Dental & Associates specializes in periodontal disease treatment, restoration of dental implants, and other types of surgical dentistry in Black Jack. If you are experiencing swelling, bleeding, or receding gums, you need to call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights) or (573) 764-2425 (Gerald) and schedule an appointment with a periodontist today to protect your oral health.
When Should You See a Periodontist?
Gum disease is preventable with daily brushing, flossing, and bi-annual dental cleanings. But, even with regular oral health maintenance, some patients are more genetically predisposed to gingivitis, periodontitis, and other oral health conditions.
Periodontal disease is typically detected during standard dentist appointments. During a dental examination, your dentist will use a "probe," which is a tiny ruler, to measure the depth of your teeth's pockets, search for bone loss or damage, and look for other signs of gum disease, oral cancer, and other conditions.
If you have noticed any of the following symptoms, you could have periodontitis and require immediate treatment from a Black Jack Periodontist:
- Swollen, tender, or bright red gums - when periodontal bacteria develops, it can lead to extreme gum sensitivity, bleeding gums, and spacing between teeth
- Abnormal spaces between teeth - plaque, tartar, and other buildup can lead to gum recession and tooth loss, and destroy the jaw bone
- Severe tooth pain - gum inflammation can cause deep pockets surrounding the teeth, that fill with pus, and when food, air, or water touches it, can lead to extreme sensitivity and pain, and make it challenging to eat, drink, or talk
In many cases, periodontal disease are preventable with biannual visits to the visit, brushing twice a day, and glossing, but if you do develop periodontitis, it's important to remember that it isn't permanent and can be healed with aggressive periodontal disease treatment.
Periodontal Disease Treatment in Black Jack
There are four stages of periodontal disease; gingivitis and slight, moderate, and advanced periodontitis. Each stage of gum disease comes with its own challenges and therefore, requires specific types of treatment.
If your Black Jack Periodontist thinks that you might have periodontitis, you might need one of the following Black Jack gum disease treatments:
- Scaling, or, tartar and buildup removal, which is performed using a dental scaler to scratch buildup from the surface of each individual tooth and between the gums
- Root planing, commonly known as "deep cleaning," is perfomed using a dental scaler to smooth down the roots of teeth to prevent infection. Root planing also helps teeth that might have loosened reattach to gums
- Applying topical antibiotics to remove harmful bacteria from between a patient's teeth, inside deep pockets, and under the gum line
- Flap surgery is performed using a small dental knife to make a slight incision in the infected gum, then pulling back the flap and deep scaling/root planing
- Soft tissue grafting restores soft tissue damaged by periodontal disease
- Bone grafting, which is used during advanced periodontal disease treatment, takes small samples of bone from non-infected areas to help aid natural regrowth of bone and prevent future bone damage
- Guided tissue regeneration is performed using a thin, but malleable, dental fabric, and placing it between the infected tooth and existing bone to limit infection and aid in regrowth of natural bone that was destroyed by periodontitis
- Tissue-stimulating proteins are carefully applied to the root of infected teeth to prevent further infection and generate natural bone and healthy tissue
After your periodontist provides in-office treatment, at-home oral health maintenance involves brushing twice daily, flossing every morning and night or after every snack and meal, using special mouth rinses to protect against infection, and a dental pick to clean gums.
Black Jack Periodontist
If you think that you could have periodontitis or some form of gum disease, you need to get help from an experienced periodontist immediately. The sooner that gum disease and periodontal disease are detected, the lower chance there is for severe, irreversible damage such as tooth loss, gum decay, and bone destruction.
Dr. John Martin and Dr. Tyler Musto have a combined total of over 35 years of experienced in the St. Louis dental industry. Our goal at Martin Dental & Associates is to improve your oral health, prevent future tooth, gum, or other oral health conditions, and make sure that you are happy with our Black Jack dental services every time you visit our office.
If you are looking for a periodontist in Black Jack, call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights), (573) 764-2425 (Gerald), or contact Martin Dental & Associates today to schedule an appointment.
Martin Dental & Associates serves residents in the following cities in the Greater St. Louis Area: