Periodontist, Bellerive, MO
Periodontal disease, which is a severe gum infection, begins as gingivitis, which is a moderate form of gum disease caused by plaque and other buildups.
Periodontal disease (Periodontitis) is a severe oral health condition, that, if untreated, can damage a patient's jaw bone, form deep pockets in a person's gums, cause chronic gum pain, and in its advanced stages, lead to the erosion of enamel and tooth loss.
If periodontal disease goes untreated, it won't clear up on its own. Periodontitis requires aggressive treatment from a periodontitis, specially formulated dental solutions, and at-home treatment to heal properly. At the first sign of periodontal disease, it's essential to schedule an examination with a Bellerive Periodontist and get treatment.
Martin Dental & Associates specializes in periodontal disease treatment, restoration of dental implants, and other types of surgical dentistry in Bellerive. If you are experiencing swelling, bleeding, or receding gums, you need to call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights) or (573) 764-2425 (Gerald) and book an appointment with a periodontist today to preserve your smile.
When Should You See a Periodontist?
Gum disease is preventable with daily brushing, flossing, and bi-annual dental cleanings. But, even with regular oral health maintenance, some patients are more genetically predisposed to gingivitis, periodontitis, and other oral health conditions.
Periodontitis can be detected during a dental examination using a dental "probe" to search for deep pockets surrounding the sides of teeth, x-rays to see if any bone loss has occurred, and discussing a patient's family oral health history. Additionally, factors such as smoking and diabetes can significantly contribute to the development of gum disease.
Symptoms that require periodontal disease treatment in Bellerive include:
- Swollen, tender, or bleeding gums - when periodontal bacteria develops, it can lead to extreme gum sensitivity, bleeding gums, and spacing between teeth
- Abnormal spaces between teeth - plaque buildup and calculus can lead to gum recession and tooth loss, and destroy the jaw bone
- Severe tooth pain - gum inflammation can cause deep pockets surrounding the teeth, that fill with pus, and when food, air, or water touches it, can lead to extreme sensitivity and pain, and make it challenging to eat, drink, or talk
Oral bacterial infections, such as perodontitis, can be prevented with regular visits to the dentist office, specialty dental products, and brushing/flossing at home between dental appointments. But, if you do develop periodontitis, it's essential to remember that it's entirely treatable and can be cured with aggressive periodontal disease treatment.
Periodontal Disease Treatment in Bellerive
There are several stages of gum disease; gingivitis and slight, moderate, and advanced periodontitis. Each stage of periodontitis comes with different challenges and therefore, requires specific types of treatment.
If your Bellerive Periodontist thinks that you might have periodontitis, you could require one or more of the following types of periodontal disease treatment:
- Scaling, or, plaque and buildup removal, which is performed using a dental scaler to scratch buildup from the surface of each individual tooth and between the gums
- Root planing, commonly known as "deep cleaning," is perfomed using a dental scaler to smooth down the roots of teeth to prevent infection. Root planing also helps teeth that might have loosened reattach to gums
- Applying topical antibiotics to the surface of the teeth, between each individual tooth, and along the gum line to eliminate existing bacteria and aid against regrowth
- Flap surgery is performed using a small dental knife to make a slight incision in the infected gum, then pulling back the flap and deep scaling/root planing
- Soft tissue grafting restores soft tissue damaged by periodontal disease
- Bone grafting, which is used during advanced periodontal disease treatment, takes small samples of bone from non-infected areas to help aid natural regrowth of bone and prevent future bone damage
- Guided tissue regeneration, which involves placing a fabric between existing bone and tooth to prevent deeper infection and allows bone to grow back over time
- Tissue-stimulating proteins are a special gel that is applied to a diseased tooth root to prevent deeper infection and stimulate natural growth of bone and tissue
After a Bellerive Periodontist performs in-office treatment, at-home prevention of periodontal disease typically involves brushing twice a day, flossing every morning and night or after every snack and meal, using special mouth rinses to prevent infection, and a dental pick to clean along the gum line.
If you think that you might have periodontitis or another type of gum disease, you need to seek treatment from an experienced periodontist immediately. The sooner that gum disease and periodontal disease are detected, the lower chance there is for severe, irreversible damage such as tooth loss, gum decay, and bone destruction.
Dr. John Martin and Dr. Tyler Musto have more than 35 years of dental experience. Our goal at Martin Dental & Associates is to improve your oral health, prevent future tooth, gum, or other oral health conditions, and make sure that you are satisfied with our Bellerive dental services every time you visit our office.
If you are looking for a periodontist in Bellerive, call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights), (573) 764-2425 (Gerald), or contact Martin Dental & Associates today to schedule an appointment.
Martin Dental & Associates serves residents in the following cities in the Greater St. Louis Area: