Periodontist, Ballwin, MO
Periodontal disease (Periodontitis) is a severe oral health condition, that, if untreated, can damage a patient's jaw bone, form deep pockets in a person's gums, cause chronic gum pain, and in its advanced stages, lead to the erosion of enamel and tooth loss.
While periodontitis can take weeks to heal and require surgery, specialty oral hygiene products, and other treatment, it isn't a permanent condition. The best way to limit the effects of periodontal disease is seeking immediate medical attention from an experienced Ballwin Periodontist.
Martin Dental & Associates provides periodontal disease treatment, restoration of dental implants, and other types of surgical dentistry in Ballwin. If you have swollen gums, bleeding when you floss, or have noticed spacing in your teeth, you need to call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights) or (573) 764-2425 (Gerald) and book an appointment with a periodontist today to preserve your smile.
When Should You See a Periodontist?
Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting a dentist twice a year can help prevent gum disease, but some patients are more susceptible to certain oral health conditions.
Periodontal disease can be detected during a dental examination using a dental "probe" to search for deep pockets surrounding the sides of teeth, x-rays to see if any bone loss has occurred, and discussing a patient's family oral health history. Additionally, factors such as smoking and diabetes can significantly contribute to the development of gum disease.
Symptoms that require periodontal disease treatment in Ballwin include:
- Swollen, tender, or bright red gums - when periodontal bacteria develops, it can lead to extreme gum sensitivity, bleeding gums, and spacing between teeth
- Abnormal spaces between teeth - plaque buildup and calculus can lead to gum recession and tooth loss, and destroy the jaw bone
- Severe tooth pain - periodontal bacteria can destroy a person's gums and cause deep and painful pockets that can become filled with pus and abscess
In many cases, periodontal disease are preventable with biannual visits to the visit, brushing twice a day, and glossing, but if you do contract periodontitis, it's essential to remember that it's entirely treatable and can be cured with aggressive periodontal disease treatment.
Periodontal Disease Treatment in Ballwin
There are four stages of periodontal disease; gingivitis and slight, moderate, and advanced periodontitis. Each level of gum disease comes with different challenges and therefore, requires specific types of treatment.
If your Ballwin Periodontist thinks that you might have periodontitis, you might need one of the following Ballwin gum disease treatments:
- Scaling, or, plaque and buildup removal, which is performed using a dental scaler to scratch buildup from the surface of each individual tooth and between the gums
- Root planing, commonly known as "deep cleaning," is perfomed using a dental scaler to smooth down the roots of teeth to prevent infection. Root planing also helps teeth that might have loosened reattach to gums
- Applying topical antibiotics to remove harmful bacteria from between a patient's teeth, inside deep pockets, and under the gum line
- Flap surgery is performed using a small dental knife to make a slight incision in the infected gum, then pulling back the flap and deep scaling/root planing
- Soft tissue grafting restores soft tissue damaged by periodontal disease
- Bone grafting, which is used during advanced periodontal disease treatment, involves using bone from non-infected areas to stimulate natural regrowth of bone and prevent future tooth loss
- Guided tissue regeneration, which involves placing a fabric between existing bone and tooth to prevent deeper infection and allows bone to grow back over time
- Tissue-stimulating proteins are carefully applied to the root of infected teeth to prevent further infection and generate natural bone and healthy tissue
After a Ballwin Periodontist performs in-office treatment, at-home prevention of periodontal disease typically involves brushing twice a day, flossing every morning and night or after every snack and meal, using fluoride mouth rinses to prevent infection, and a water pick to clean deep under the gums.
If you think that you could have periodontitis or some form of gum disease, you need to get help from an experienced periodontist right away. Early detection of gingivitis can prevent severe oral health damage such as tooth loss, gum decay, and bone destruction.
Dr. John Martin and Dr. Tyler Musto have a combined total of over 35 years of experienced in the St. Louis dental industry. Our periodontists' goal is to get your oral health in optimal shape, prevent future tooth, gum, or other oral health conditions, and make sure that you are satisfied with our Ballwin dental services every time you visit our office.
If you are looking for a periodontist in Ballwin, call (314) 739-1222 (Maryland Heights), (573) 764-2425 (Gerald), or contact Martin Dental & Associates today to schedule an appointment.
Martin Dental & Associates serves residents in the following cities in the Greater St. Louis Area: